Monday 18 April 2011

ANPS - Collaboration Online


I have been preparing for my next presentation which will be at the next ANPS Forum for Emerging Leaders on the 30th April. I am trying to make a more dramatic kind of presentation by using the skills that I learned at the recent ADE Institute in HCMC. I am trying to break out of my slideshow habit and engage the audience by telling a story but using visuals as a support.

As a part of my preparations for this workshop I have been interviewing the technical support at my school to find out about the current size of the Internet bandwidth and how many users that can support at the same time. We are indeed fortunate to have 8 megabit bandwidth.

One of the biggest problems that the local schools here in Indonesia face is access. Most schools still use computer labs which offer limited access for teachers other than the computer teacher. On top of this the Internet access is barely sufficient for the teachers to access let alone the students.

This issue of computer access and Internet access will be the deal breaker for most national plus schools. It is very costly often costing more than other school needs - never less it is essential.

Things can only change here if schools consider computer and Internet access as equally important as staffing. It needs to be considered as an integral part of the school and not just 'added value'.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jane,
    I really enjoyed your session last Saturday. You have inspired me to start my own blog on teaching. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete